Going green doesn't have to be difficult!
It's traditionally assumed that going green is daunting, expensive and a bit too new age for some. But businesses that fail to implement green strategies will actually pay in the future, for example:
- In the UK, over 50% of our carbon emissions come from industry, creating more pollution than cars and planes combined! In the last three years energy supplier’s charges have gone up by 20% on average
- According to the Carbon Trust, a typical 10,000 square meters of office space, accommodating 1000 people will consume more than £160,000 of energy a year, just a 30% reduction in energy usage will save you £48,000 p/a. In this case the 30% was attributed to high over night energy consumption, and previously undetected faults with heating and cooling systems
- In 2010 government legislation will change with initiatives such as the BREEAM standard (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method – the de facto measure of a buildings environmental performance) and organizations will be required to make efforts to meet these standards
For more information about new government regulations and BREEAM standards click here>>
So making a commitment to even a few small changes can save you lots of money quickly, and set you on the road to meet your obligations. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Take a meter reading at the end of the day and again the following morning before work begins – the difference is energy wasted while you sleep
- Use motivational methods, such as incentives and competitions to make saving energy fun – this can be good for staff morale and will help you achieve energy savings faster
- Use car sharing to reduce carbon emissions, or incentivise staff to use public transport, walk or cycle
- Ask one of your onsite staff to be responsible for implementing energy reducing schemes – savings are quicker and easier to achieve if managed on site and not through head office / a contractor
And what are we doing? We implemented our own ‘Green Check List’ and installed energy saving lighting, immediately saving 75% on traditional fittings. We recycle all paper and card, and utilize the latest water saving systems in our new washrooms. It took a moment to make the decision, but we will reap the benefits for years to come!
Have a look at our Go Green checklist – it's FREE! Why not download it now and see the changes you could make, today – download it here >>>